Sunday, December 15, 2013

Agile Approach to Families

The organisation I work for has Agile embedded in as part of its culture.  It was really amazing to come to a large organisation and not see a single Microsoft Project Gantt Chart anywhere.  After you get the swing of iterations, breaking down work and conducting huddles and retrospectives, things really start to move.
 
Last year when my personal goals were not going in the direction I wanted, at the pace I wanted, I started to use retrospective planning at home.  What is working well, what is not, and what do I need to change?  It only took 30 minutes and a wall chart to regain some focus and prioritise what needed to change.
 
I had heard of some Agile legends at work taking the approach into their families, but upon listening to this TED talk, I think that I may start to take some of his ideas into my family life. 
 
Communication is essential in life, at work and home.  Often the at home piece is the one to suffer.  I think some of the out takes from the talk may bring some new skills to the family unit.  I really love the concept of a weekly family session, and re-cutting time.
 
 
I recently watched the talk again, and was impressed by the concepts.  The report card from school indicates that time management, working independently and organises belongings are all on the general rating and not the consistent level. 
 
So we kicked off our daily checklist approach of chores and general getting organised things to do.  A morning checklist and an afternoon one.  Now we are responsible for our own washing, ironing, cleaning the bench in her bathroom, cleaning her own room, we sure do need a schedule to keep things organised.
 
I think that the best part is no nagging, or very little.  I simply ask have you done your list.  There is also an age old debate about paying your kids pocket money that is tied to chores.  I think it is important to teach them about money, finances and budgeting.  But equally important is that people understand 'everyone does helping' in our house.  One of my parenting goals is to raise an independent child, one who is able to take on the world, fully prepared when she decides to fly the nest.  So in house we settled on a standard weekly allowance that has to be split between giving, saving and spending, and then if your checklist gets done with no nagging then you get an extra bonus for spending.
 
So now I have some more freedom in the mornings, and the first day results?
 

Ready ahead of schedule and sitting at the bench doing some big girl reading.  Sigh parental proudness happening here.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment